SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AND GOALS
The purpose of the George Choy Memorial / Gay Asian Pacific Alliance (GAPA) Scholarship is to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (l/g/b/t) Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) who are in the process of applying to, or are currently attending, a post-secondary institution. The maximum grant award is currently $1000. The first scholarship was awarded in 1997.
WHO WAS GEORGE CHOY
George Choy was an ardent activist who spoke out for queer APIs, driven by the belief that we are all "part of the family too." He was especially vocal in support of queer youth in our community, successfully representing GAPA to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to pass Project 10, the counseling program for lesbian and gay teenagers in public high schools. In keeping with the vision of George Choy, this scholarship embraces gays, lesbians, transgenders and other sexual minorities. George Choy (February 6, 1960 - September 10, 1993).
Who can apply?
You can apply for this scholarship if you:
- are self-identified as an Asian/Pacific Islander; (at least 25% API ancestry)
- are involved in the LGBTIQQ community (priority will be given to those self-identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender)
- are in the process of applying to, or are currently attending school in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, Sonoma, and Solano)
- are currently living in or will be studying in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, Sonoma, and Solano)
- have an unweighted cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better
Application deadline: October 31, 2013
Please click on the link below to download the fillable application form for the George Choy Memorial / GAPA Scholarship Fund.
Please read the DETAILED GUIDELINES before filling out the application. If you have any questions or need more information, please contact the GAPA Scholarship Chair, Ty Lim at email@example.com.
2013 Application Form PDF (319k download)
2013 Application Form MS Word Doc (239k download)
Tax deductible donation
Your donation to George Choy Memorial / GAPA Scholarship is tax-deductible. You can submit your donation through Horizons Foundation
Instruction: In the donation dedication box that says "I’d like to make this donation on behalf of", please indicate that it’s for the "GAPA George Choy Scholarship Fund".
For Donations to the GAPA Foundation, please visit www.gapa.org/foundation or use the link below: