SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION AND GOALS
The George Choy Memorial / Gay Asian Pacific Alliance (GAPA) Scholarship is a scholarship that seeks to provide financial assistance to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) Asian and Pacific Islanders who are currently in high school or postsecondary school. We award several scholarships of $2000 each to students who have demonstrated outstanding activism and leadership within the API LGBTQ community (check out our 2014 and 2013 winners!). The first scholarship was awarded in 1997.
WHO WAS GEORGE CHOY
George Choy was an ardent activist who spoke out for queer APIs, driven by the belief that we are all "part of the family too." He was especially vocal in support of queer youth in our community, successfully representing GAPA to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to pass Project 10, the counseling program for lesbian and gay teenagers in public high schools. In keeping with the vision of George Choy, this scholarship embraces gays, lesbians, transgenders and other sexual minorities. George Choy (February 6, 1960 - September 10, 1993).
Who can apply?
Scholarship eligibility requirements:
- Be in the process of applying to, or currently attending a postsecondary undergraduate institution (college, university, community college, or vocational school)
- Have a strong history of activism within eith the API and/or LGBT communities; however, applicants need not identify as either to apply. Preference will be given to those who identify as both API and LGBT.
- Are in the process of applying to, or are currently attending school in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, Sonoma, and Solano)
- Are currently living in or will be studying in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Napa, Sonoma, and Solano)
- Have an unweighted cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or better.
Application deadline: June 15, 2015
Please direct any questions or inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We're happy to help!
Tax deductible donation
Your donation to George Choy Memorial / GAPA Scholarship is tax-deductible. You can submit your donation through Horizons Foundation
Instruction: In the donation dedication box that says "I’d like to make this donation on behalf of", please indicate that it’s for the "GAPA George Choy Scholarship Fund".
For Donations to the GAPA Foundation, please visit www.gapa.org/foundation or use the link below: